Al-Azhar Park functions as a ‘green lung’ of Cairo.
Its enormous potential, being located at the center of a historic location. It was clear that Cairo needed more green space.
History of Al-Azhar Park
Al-Azhar Park In 1984, His Highness the Aga Khan announced his decision to create a park for the Cairene to commemorate the foundations of Cairo by his ancestors, the Fatimids, in 969. The selected location was the derelict Darassa site, a 30-hectare mound of rubble between the castern edge of the 12th century City Walls and the “City of the Dead”. Al-Azhar Park opened to the public in 2005..
Eastern City Wall of Cairo
Archacological research reveald the remains of the first Citv Wall built from mud bricks in 969 by Jawhar al-Sigilli. A century later, the Fatimid Bad al-Jamali constructed a new city wall in 1087, adding three monumental gates built in stone. During the reign of Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi, the defensive wall was enlarged for the third time, this time with limestone.